home> guide to Tocal

Guide to Tocal


These barracks were built to house convicts, ex-convicts and free workers. It’s difficult to know exactly when the barracks were built. Records indicate that they were probably built after James Webber’s departure, very likely following the 1835 fire that destroyed most of the workers’ original accommodation.

This building was part of a three building complex: another building behind this was both a residence and a store, and towards the bull barn was a timber and iron kitchen. Kitchens were built away from houses as they regularly caught alight – a hazard of cooking on open fires.

Some time in the early 20th century, the roof blew off the barracks and this building was abandoned. They were not used for the next 80 years but are now being conserved and restored.

photo of barracks